Sunday 22 January 2012

Pattern Stagnation

Most beaders will have a favourite piece that they will create again and again, maybe changing the bead count a little, maybe the colour.  It's one of those traps that we can definitely fall into and end up beading nothing else.  I nearly fell into that trap about a year ago.

I made a right angle weave neckerchief in gunmetal beads (I don't have a picture of it) and sold it at a craft fair.  I really enjoyed making it and whilst I was at the craft fair, before the original sold, I had two commissions to make it in different colours for other ladies.  I could sit and bead this almost with my eyes closed and just loved making it.  Each one was slightly different but the same basic shape was always there.

Here are a couple of different examples of this pattern cul-de-sac I very nearly got caught in:

It's essentially a random edge square folded in half to give it that neckerchief look.  This one was beaded in a bead soup of greens, bronzes and golds with a 12 bead square.

This one is just one layer - essentially a really long triangle with an 8 bead square.

This one is my absolute favourite of the neckerchief series.  It's solid right angle weave in a matte bronze iris bead.  I wanted it to look more like ripped fabric than jewellery made of seed beads which is why the edges are much more random than the two above.  I had a commission to make this in a deep red matte bead as well but stupidly didn't take any photos of it.

And finally, this one was made in larger size 8 beads, solid RAW again just narrower to make it more elegant.  This was made as another commission and is my least favourite of these neckerchiefs.

I could very easily have just continued making this in slightly different ways for the next couple of years but it would have been at the expense of absolutely everything else that was simmering in the design part of my brain.  So I stopped.  I decided that I would not make another neckerchief for at least two years.  So far I'm a year into my promise and my fingers aren't itching to make another one.  Yet! 

17 comments:

  1. These netted 'neckercheves' are an ABSOLUTE HIT OF THE SEASON!:-)
    I do not know,how You can do them!I have never seen anything like that.This is a very unique design and allows to spread the wings of Fantasy to think up the variety of versions and colors.Practically unlimited possibilities:-)
    Have I ever 'told' You,tat You are an incredibly talented Beader?? I can repeat it every second,if You like it,or not:-)
    Hugs-Hugs-Hugs-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're deceptively simple, just Right Angle Weave with different bead counts to make them look different. The trouble is that I could have just beaded these forever and never made anything else! :D
      Awe thanks hun, that's really very kind of you :)
      Hugs x

      Delete
  2. These neckerchiefs are simply beautiful. I like how you changed each up with using different bead sizes and colors and the number in each square. RAW and I have not become best friends yet, but we are getting there.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. RAW is my most favourite stitch and I could use it to the exclusion of all others and it takes control not to just do that! I'm sure you'll soon be fast friends with it! :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, these are lovely. So wearable too. I adore the matte bronze one. If only I didn't hate RAW so much I might just bead one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love the matte bronze one too, definitely my favourite of the bunch.

      Can't understand how you can hate RAW though - it's brilliant!

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    I would like to make one of these neckerchiefs for myself. Can I have your permision to make one? They are just beautiful!!!!!!!!!! I love them.
    Thank you,
    Hero

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for asking my permission to make one, that means so much to me. You may indeed make one for yourself - I hope you enjoy wearing it and post a picture so we can all see your work!
      Cate x

      Delete
  5. Thank you!!!!!!! I'll let you know when I post a pic.

    Hero

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how you interpret this. How exciting!!!! :D

      Cate x

      Delete
    2. I really, really love those necklaces/scarves. Wish I had thought of this. :)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful, beautiful...is there a pattern for this please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there anyway I could get a pattern for this? I am in love with the style of this and would love to have one to wear myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cate - I viewed one of these uniquely beautiful neckerchief on Pinterest. I have bee looking for something to make for Christmas gifts & this would be perfect. I am relatively new to beading & was wondering if you have created a pattern that you would be willing to share. I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful. I make mine with the Netted Stitch.

    ReplyDelete