Wednesday 15 February 2012

Potowatomi Weave


A few years ago Mummy and I discovered Potowatomi Weave (instructions behind the link), well, I should say that she discovered it and taught it to me!  This sweet little stitch makes up for one heck of a strong, flat weave.  It's also really versatile: you can weave multiple rows of it and make a really strong base from which to embellish (although it looks pretty amazing as is), you can change the colours within the stitch to produce high contrast and interest, you can make chokers, bracelets, cuffs, and you can embellish a single row with dangles, much like the necklace and bracelet set I made below.

 This was such a simple idea.  I made a single strip of Potowatomi and then added amethyst chips along the bottom edge in an altered picot type edging.  The amethyst chips are much smaller at the back and get bigger and darker the further round the front you get.  The little bracelet was made in exactly the same way.

I haven't played round with this stitch half as much as I'd like to but I have played with it enough to say that delicas just don't sit as well as seed beads on this one!  I must come back and revisit this stitch once I've finished the two projects I have on the go at the moment.


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful set!! I like amethyst very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I like amethyst too, it's so beautiful. :)

      Delete
  2. This set is gorgeous! The white seed beads make the Amethyst pop!
    Therese

    ReplyDelete